Wednesday, March 20, 2013

In need of a makeover

I can't believe it has been almost close to 9 months since I embarked on this century long journey. Being a general surgery resident definitely requires a lot of prioritizing and sacrifices. Close to 90 hours a week is being drained into sustaining this job, leaving very little left for everything else. Time is gold, time is also priceless. I've cut back 2 hours of sleep each day to have extra time for other things. No time for hair cuts, no time for nails or eyebrows. Instead the extra few hours is much better off spending time with friends, with companionship, because those relationships are precious.

This job has made it easier in the mornings to get ready and get rolling. The truth is, I stop caring about how I look anymore. Extra 10 minutes of sleep in the morning is crucial to my overall well being throughout the day. Throw on a pair of scrubs, splash some water on my face and I'm good to go. Naked face, messy pony tailed hair, un-ironed scrubs. People at my work place don't judge by looks, instead, what defines a good resident is the efficiency at paper and floor work, clinical judgement and technical skills. Nobody cares who wears eyeliner and who doesn't.

I've got black roots sticking out from the messy hair dyeing self-attempt in dire need of a redo. I've got uneven nails and a whole closet of unworn new dresses. The only accessory I carry around are my wacky contact lense - coloured eyes. Its been a while. It has been a while.

I don't know how some people do it. I would like to learn. How to look gorgeous and fresh, and roll out of bed at 4am in the morning to achieve that. It is a feat to me. I rather look ugly and get another 15 minutes of sleep.


No comments: